Another day, another time where our hearts are broken. The atrocities in Nice have left us crestfallen, and so, so sad. As trite as it can sound, one of the things that we love about our little community of 5,378 (as of today) followers, is that everyone comes from different countries, backgrounds, faiths, beliefs, interests and… loves, and despite that, we all come together as one little community.
It warms our little hearts to see every bake, every tweet, every like/favourite, and we must remember that there is love out there, despite all the hate that sometimes feels all consuming.
We are going to carry on, and we are going to celebrate the good. So, onwards.
It feels somehow right that the winner of our European Bakes was a French bake, and the Golden Spoon goes to @beccawandering for her beautiful Honey and Vanilla Madelines. We love the elegance of this bake, and would love you to try it 🙂
- 100g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 100g caster sugar
- 100g butter, melted
- 1 whole egg, separated, plus 1 egg white
- 1 tbsp clear honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Icing sugar, for dusting
– Preheat oven to 190c (170c fan oven or gas mark 5).
– Grease a madeleine tray with a non-stick cooking spray or a little butter and use a sieve to dust lightly with flour.
– Mix the flour and sugar in a bowl. Put the butter, egg yolk, honey and vanilla into a separate bowl and whisk together.
– Using a hand held whisk, whisk the two egg whites until stiff.
– Fold the butter mixture into the dry ingredients until evenly mixed, then gently fold in the egg whites until thoroughly combined. Be careful not over mix (you want to keep the volume in the egg whites).
– Divide between the moulds and bake for 10-12 mins until golden brown and firm to the touch.
– Leave to cool in the moulds for a few minutes, then turn out and cool on a wire rack.
– Dust with icing sugar before serving, if you like.
Enjoy, and we wish you all peace and lots and lots of love.
Laura and Dominique xxxx